« 2011年7月 | トップページ | 2011年9月 »


超人のジャーナリスト・アイ 146 Tropical Storm Irene ニュージャージー州に再上陸


Flooding begins as Tropical Storm Irene lashes Northeast

New York (CNN) -- Streets flooded Sunday morning as Irene lashed some of the biggest cities in the Northeast with wind gusts and torrential rains.

Even as Irene weakened to a tropical storm, authorities in the region warned that its impact was not waning.

"Do not leave your homes. ... It is still not safe," New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie said Sunday morning. "We've got flooding everywhere and flash flooding in all different parts of the state."

Officials said the storm had knocked out power to more than 3 million people and was responsible for at least 13 deaths in five states.

Streets in downtown Millburn, New Jersey, saw major flooding when the Rahway River overflowed early Sunday morning, said Lt. Peter Eakley, the town's deputy emergency management coordinator.

"It's crazy. ... The water is moving between buildings, up, down, all sorts of different directions," Rich Graessle told CNN's iReport.

In New York City's lower Manhattan, the Hudson River overflowed, sending massive amounts of water spilling over jogging paths and pouring into at least one nearby apartment building. Water also lapped over the banks of the city's East River early Sunday, but later receded. CNN affiliate WCBS reported serious flooding in Brooklyn.

Irene left streets looking barren and desolate in "the city that never sleeps." Shelves upon empty shelves greeted shoppers at stores. Caution tape barricaded the turnstiles at subway stops.

But the flooding's greatest impact may be far from view, former Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff told CNN.

"The challenge of New York is that so much of the electricity and other infrastructure is below the surface," he said.

That means flooding could bring life in the city to a standstill even after waters recede, he said.

The threat of flooding extended beyond New York City. Outside Philadelphia, waters had already climbed to street-sign levels in Darby, Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter said, sending "couches, furniture, all kinds of stuff floating down the street."

Waves pounded the shoreline in Long Beach, New York, as water poured underneath the boardwalk and into the city's downtown area.

By 11 a.m. ET Sunday, Tropical Storm Irene had maximum sustained winds of 60 mph, according to the National Hurricane Center. The storm was moving inland over southeastern New York state and heading northeast toward New England. Even as winds decreased, the hurricane center warned that an "extremely dangerous storm surge" was expected in Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts and parts of Long Island, New York.

The storm slammed into Little Egg Inlet, New Jersey, as a Category 1 hurricane around 5:30 a.m., the hurricane center said, hitting cities along the coast as it hurtled toward New York City.

While most New Yorkers stayed holed up in their apartments, officials and residents in states further south began taking stock of the damage Irene left behind.

Authorities in Ocean City, Maryland, reopened the evacuated city.

"It was a long night last night, but I can tell you, we dodged a missile here at Ocean City," Mayor Rick Meehan told reporters.

While Irene dumped 12 inches of rain by early Sunday morning, there was no major flooding. The maximum storm surge coincided with low tide, preventing the flooding that had been feared. Timing "made a significant difference," Meehan said.

But flooding remained a concern in many areas, said Craig Fugate, head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

"Assessments are still coming in," Fugate said Sunday morning, noting that Virginia reported particularly high rainfalls.

Powerful gusts were so strong in some states that pedestrians struggled to stay upright. Storm surges along the East Coast turned at least one beach into an extension of the ocean.

Two buildings collapsed in Philadelphia, Nutter told reporters, but no one was injured.

A nuclear power reactor in Calvert Cliffs, Maryland, automatically went offline late Saturday after a piece of aluminum siding from a building struck a transformer amid strong winds.

"The facility is safe; there is no impact to employees or our neighbors," said Mark Sullivan, spokesman for the Constellation Energy Nuclear Group. "There is no threat."

Officials have blamed at least 13 deaths across the affected region on Irene -- one each in Connecticut, Maryland and Florida, six in North Carolina and four in Virginia.

A 55-year-old male surfer died around noon in New Smyrna Beach, Florida, and a woman in Queenstown, Maryland, died after a tree knocked a chimney through the roof of her home, officials said. Connecticut Gov. Dan Malloy said downed wires appear to be to blame for one fatality in his state.

Irene first made landfall in the United States Saturday in North Carolina near Cape Lookout at the southern end of the Outer Banks. It stomped across the state for most of the day.

The storm ripped off roofs, toppled trees, induced "massive flooding" near the coast and brought down power lines statewide, according to the state emergency management division.

The hurricane unleashed 10 to 14 inches of rain over much of North Carolina and pushed a 4-foot storm surge into the Chesapeake Bay, the National Hurricane Center said.

As of midnight Saturday, Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina, had endured 31 hours of nonstop rainfall.

Reports of tornadoes came from several states, including North Carolina and Virginia -- but a final determination will have to be made by the National Weather Service.



超人のジャーナリスト・アイ 145 ハリケーン「アイリーン」、米国東部ニューヨークやワシントンに接近 



New York shuts down ahead of Hurricane Irene

9:01pm EDT

By Basil Katz and Edith Honan


NEW YORK (Reuters) - Times Square emptied out and evacuation shelters filled up as New York City shut down on Saturday ahead of Hurricane Irene, which charged up the East Coast on a direct path toward the world financial capital.

New Yorkers deserted the streets and took cover from a rare hurricane headed their way -- only five have tracked within 75 miles of the city since records have been kept. The full impact of heavy rain, powerful winds and a surging sea was expected through Sunday morning.

Rain was reported throughout the city around 8 p.m, and the National Weather Service issued a tornado watch in addition to the hurricane warning.

After Mayor Michael Bloomberg ordered the unprecedented evacuation of 370,000 people living in neighborhoods near the water's edge, more than 3,700 took refuge in the city's shelters, thousands more fled to the homes of friends or relatives, and others defiantly stayed behind.

While shelters were mostly empty, others such as the John Adams High School in Queens overflowed.

A smattering of food and liquor stores stayed open while the public transit system that moves 8.5 million people each weekday halted operations, also a first, as the giant 580-mile-wide storm unleashed 80 miles per hour winds, grounding aircraft along the eastern seaboard.

At Brooklyn Tech High School shelter, evacuees watched weather reports on a large television screen in the auditorium while others dined on mozzarella sticks, string beans, milk and apple sauce.

"I didn't want to leave (home), I wanted to stay, but I feared for my life. I didn't want to get stuck in the dark and in the flood," said Margie Robledo, 58, of Coney Island, who just arrived in New York from Puerto Rico, where the storm had hit days earlier.


Others defied the evacuation order after Bloomberg announced police would not enforce it. Despite the persistent warnings and ominous skies, the neighborhood around Brooklyn's Coney Island -- within the danger zone -- was calm. Parked cars lined the streets, and there was no sign of a mass exodus.

"They are right, we should be evacuating, but we are not," said John Visconti, 47, who owns an auto repair business and lives on the ground floor of his building in the nearby Brighton Beach area of Brooklyn. "We just want to stay home and hope for the best. We should be OK."

The evacuation zones included shiny apartment buildings in Manhattan's wealthy Battery Park City, working class Red Hook in Brooklyn and run-down public housing in Coney Island -- all neighborhoods at the water's edge.

"If the neighborhood is eventually legitimately flooded, I have food and books and whiskey," said attorney Neal D'Amato, 31, sipping a beer at the Red Hook Bait and Tackle shop bar.

He said he would ride out the storm in his fourth-floor apartment.

In Times Square, the so-called crossroads of the world, tourists were left with limited options. Broadway shows were canceled, Starbucks stores closed as was McDonald's.

Many other chain stores and attractions for kids such as the Toys "R" Us flagship store and Hershey's chocolate emporium were also shuttered.

The Frames bowling alley in the Port Authority Bus Terminal was still open, and had no immediate plans to close early, despite few customers. There was still adult entertainment on the fringes of Times Square with peep shows and stores offering porn, sex toys and lingerie open for business.

Taxis were plentiful even though mass transit halted at midday, suggested most people were staying home.

The network of 468 subway stations, 324 bus routes and two commuter rail lines was unlikely to be open for Monday morning's commute, Bloomberg said, and electricity in lower Manhattan including Wall Street could be out for days if the utility Consolidated Edison decide to preemptively shut off power. The New York Stock Exchange expected a normal trading session on Monday.

One of the danger zones, the Financial District surrounding Wall Street, was largely deserted, with clusters of pedestrians with suitcases hailing cabs to get to higher ground.


Outside the W Hotel near the World Trade Center site of the September 11 attacks, Tamara Steil, 57, who is visiting from Michigan, waited for a hotel shuttle to take her to a midtown Manhattan hotel.

"We were here to spend money on restaurants and bars, but all these places are closed," she said, as she shared a pack of beer with other stragglers.

The South Street Seaport, which on a typical summer Saturday would be full of tourists, was nearly abandoned, the storefronts and restaurants boarded up or covered in plastic sheets, sandbags protecting the doors.

At a Manhattan Home Depot store, store clerks said they planned to stay open throughout the storm, but early on Saturday it had already run out of flashlights, duct tape, rope and tarps.

Irina Katkov, 38, an office manager, who lives in a seven-story building near the Atlantic Ocean, said about half the people in the evacuation zone where she lives were staying put, herself among them.

"We're not scared, we are ready for the fun," Katkov said. "Cameras are ready, batteries are charged, can't wait."

(Additional reporting by Martin Howell; Writing by Daniel Trotta; Editing by Xavier Briand and Philip Barbara)


August 27, 2011

New York City Braces Itself, Fearing Wall of Water



Hurricane Irene charged toward New York on Saturday evening, with the city all but closed down in anticipation of what forecasters said could be violent winds with the power to drive a wall of water over the beaches in the Rockaways and between the skyscrapers of Lower Manhattan. The subway system, one of the city’s trademarks, had shut down in the middle of the day.

The city worked to complete its evacuation of about 370,000 residents in low-lying areas where officials expected flooding to follow the storm, and Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey said that more than a million people had been evacuated, mainly from four counties in the southern part of the state.

Officials warned that a big problem could be flooding at high tide, around 8 a.m. Sunday — before the storm has moved on and the wind has slacked off in and around the city, assuming it more or less follows the path where forecasters expect it to go.

“That is when you’ll see the water come over the side,” Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg cautioned at a briefing on Saturday afternoon.

The wide storm lurched onto the Outer Banks of North Carolina in the early daylight hours of Saturday and heaved clumsily but implacably north, leaving in its wake floods, impassable roads and at least six deaths. After proceeding slowly from North Carolina to Virginia, the storm weaved out to sea and onto a path expected to take it to Long Island and New York City.

Despite the city’s efforts, opening 91 emergency centers that could take in 70,000 people, the mayor said that just 1,400 had arrived by 3:30 p.m. Saturday. The only other statistics available pointed to the difficulty of getting people to abide by the mayor’s mandatory evacuation order in what the city calls Zone A low-lying areas: He said 80 percent of the residents in some city-run buildings — but only 50 percent in others — had left by Saturday afternoon.

As the storm pushed toward the New York area, Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo ordered 2,000 National Guard troops called up. Mr. Cuomo saw the first of them off from the 69th Regiment Armory, on Lexington Avenue at 26th Street, after saying they would assist the police, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. He also said that some would be sent to Long Island, which could face heavy damage in the storm.

Mr. Christie said 1,500 National Guard troops had been deployed in New Jersey.

The mayor attributed one casualty to the storm, a 66-year-old man who fell from a ladder while trying to board up windows at his house in Jamaica, Queens. A Fire Department spokesman said the man, who was not immediately identified, was in serious condition at Jamaica Hospital Medical Center.

Just before 8 p.m., the city, along with Westchester, Suffolk, Nassau and Rockland Counties, was put on a tornado watch, according to the National Weather Service.

“It’s actually common when we have these tropical systems,” said Brian Ceimnecki of the Weather Service. He added that as the hurricane moved up the coast, tornado watches have moved right along with it.

As the transit system prepared to shut down, police officers sounded the warning, strolling along subway platforms and telling people that the next train would be the last. The conductor of a No. 4 train that pulled into the Borough Hall station in Brooklyn at 12:14 p.m. had the same message.

“This is it,” he said, smiling. “You’re just in time.”

Soon subway employees were stretching yellow tape across the entrances to stations to keep people from going down the steps and into a subterranean world that was suddenly off limits, but not deserted. Transit workers were charged with executing a huge, mostly underground ballet, moving 200 subway trains away from outdoor yards that could flood if the storm delivered the 6 to 12 inches of rain that forecasts called for. The trains were to be parked in tunnels across the city, making regular runs impossible.

Mr. Bloomberg said the transit system was “unlikely to be back” in service on Monday. He said crews would have to pump water from tunnels if they flooded and restore the signal system before they could move the parked trains out. That would mean “the equipment’s not where you would want it” for the morning rush, he said. “Plan on a commute without mass transit on Monday morning.”

Mr. Bloomberg also said electricity could be knocked out in Lower Manhattan if Consolidated Edison shut off the power to pre-empt the problems that flooding could cause for its cables. (A Con Ed spokesman said later that the company, while prepared, had no immediate plans for that kind of shutdown.)

Other officials, including Mr. Christie, repeated what they had said on Friday: Evacuate.

Mr. Christie said that 90 percent to 98 percent of residents in parts of four counties in South Jersey had left — Cape May, Atlantic, Ocean and Monmouth. About 1,200 people who were evacuated from Atlantic County on Friday had spent the night without cots at the Sun Center arena in Trenton, where many people ended up sleeping in seats, he said. They were taken to the Rutgers University campus in New Brunswick, which Mr. Christie visited after a news conference.

In Hoboken, N.J., Mayor Dawn Zimmer ordered the evacuation of all ground-floor residential units and ordered bars to close at 8 p.m.

But up until last call, about 7:45, the scene on Saturday night looked fairly normal, with young people packed into several establishments.

“What else are we going to do?” said Scotty Alpaugh, 30, who wore rainproof overalls to Black Bear Bar and Grill. “Everything else is shut down.”

In New York, Mr. Bloomberg said the evacuation and the transit shutdown, actions that he said had not been ordered before, were proceeding as well as could be expected, with officials going door to door in high-rise housing projects and firefighters driving school buses to help get homebound residents out of low-lying neighborhoods.

Phyllis Rhodie, 48, boarded such a bus outside the Redfern Houses in the slender peninsula of the Rockaways. She took along her boyfriend, three children, water, food, some medical supplies — and a case of nerves.

“I’m staying wherever they can put me up,” she said.

Officials said elevators in housing-project buildings would be shut off. And, for all the evacuation, some New Yorkers stayed put. The city did not evacuate inmates on Rikers Island because, a city spokesman explained, “It’s not in Zone A.”

Despite an aggressive city attempt to empty out low-lying waterfront neighborhoods of the Lower East Side, an estimated 10,000 people remained in the evacuation area as of 5 p.m., the official deadline for leaving, said State Senator Daniel L. Squadron. “I am highly concerned about those who did not leave,” Mr. Squadron said. (He described the area in question as south of 14th Street and east of the Brooklyn Bridge.)

The storm caused major disruptions long before the first bands of rain swirled by. The three major airports in the New York region stopped clearing flights for landing at noon. Officials said they would remain open for planes that wanted to take off, but most flights had been canceled on Friday, according to Steve Coleman, a spokesman for the Port Authority.

Amtrak canceled most trains after 11 a.m., although there was some confusion at Pennsylvania Station. A northbound train that left at 10:15 a.m. was, the conductor said, the last one going in that direction and was sold out.

The National Weather Service said the storm would churn along the Interstate 95 corridor, keeping up its 14-mile-an-hour pace. That would bring the center to the New York area by Sunday afternoon — probably east of the city on Long Island, forecasters said, although they cautioned that the path could change at any moment. The city had been under a hurricane warning, its first since 1985, since Friday afternoon.

The storm’s potential path reminded weather historians of the devastating hurricane of 1938. That storm devastated the Connecticut coast and rearranged Long Island’s geography, carving an inlet through what had been a thin but solid stretch of land on the way to the Hamptons.

On Saturday, New York awoke to an odd, greenish-gray sky, overheated air that felt heavy with moisture and only a light, summery breeze. It was not just another sleepy Saturday in August — too many people were on alert too early. In Battery Park City, long lines of taxis waited to take evacuees who carried their possessions to the curb. Uptown, some were dismayed when they found that stores like the new Fairway on East 86th Street had closed.

“It fits into the whole alarmist nature of the city,” said Mike Ortenau, 44, who lives in the neighborhood.

Reporting for the hurricane coverage was contributed by Al Baker, Michael Barbaro, Matt Flegenheimer, Christine Haughney, Thomas Kaplan, Andrew O’Reilly, Anna M. Phillips, Jennifer Preston, Melena Ryzik, Liz Robbins, Noah Rosenberg, Fernanda Santos and Tim Stelloh.


Hurricane Irene bears down on large East Coast cities
Ocean City, Maryland (CNN) -- Residents in several major East Coast cities -- including Washington, Philadelphia and New York -- braced late Saturday for the impact from Hurricane Irene.

By Saturday evening, the storm already had knocked out power in more than a million homes, forced more than a million people off the New Jersey shore alone and caused at least nine deaths.

Irene weakened somewhat since coming ashore early Saturday near Cape Lookout, North Carolina, and it's expected to slowly lose more strength overnight. But it is still a Category 1 hurricane, with sustained winds around 80 mph and extending 85 miles from its center. Forecasters expect it to remain a hurricane until it once again makes landfall Sunday afternoon in southern New England.

While the vast majority heeded calls to evacuate, emergency officials continued to plead Saturday with stubborn residents to head to high ground, warning that heavy rains and a storm surge of 4 to 8 feet could cause widespread flooding of low-lying areas and pose untold dangers to residents from Virginia to Massachusetts.

Live Blog: Get up-to-the-minute updates

"Living in New York City all my life and never experiencing a hurricane before, I have no idea what to expect," said CNN iReporter Elie Shaby, who lives one block north of where authorities have ordered evacuations in Manhattan.

By Saturday evening, five people were reported dead in North Carolina due to the storm, police and emergency officials said. That includes two who died in separate accidents when trees fell on their cars. Two cars crashed going though an intersection in Goldsboro where the traffic lights had failed, leading to the death of a child, and a driver died in Pitt County after losing control in standing water and hitting a tree.

Three died because of falling trees in Virginia, including a man who was in a Chesterfield County residence around 3 p.m. Saturday, according to the county. In addition, a 55-year-old male surfer died around noon in New Smyrna Beach, Florida, said Capt. Tamara Marris, a spokeswoman for the Volusia County Beach Patrol.

Get state-by-state updates

As of 9 p.m., Irene was 100 miles south-southwest of Ocean City, Maryland, moving north-northeast at 16 mph. It had maximum winds of 80 mph, according to the National Hurricane Center.

Ed Rappaport, a meteorologist at the center, said Saturday night that the storm would parallel the East Coast before making landfall again Sunday afternoon in southern New England. Irene may slowly weaken while it's over water, before its strength diminishes more rapidly once it hits land again.

In the meantime, he said the storm could dump up to 20 inches of rain in select locales, accompanied by powerful winds.

The hurricane already had brought 10 to 14 inches of rain to much of North Carolina, and was pushing a 4-foot storm surge into the Chesapeake Bay, the National Hurricane Center said.

Hurricane warnings extend up the coast to Cape Cod in Massachusetts, with tropical storm warnings issued for parts of coastal Canada.

Several states, including Virginia and North Carolina, saw tornadoes spawned by the storm. Delaware Gov. Jack Markell told CNN affiliate KYW that a tornado touched down in Lewes, damaging at least 17 homes.

A tornado in Tyrrell County, North Carolina, destroyed five homes and seriously damaged a business Saturday, Sheriff Darryl Liverman told CNN affiliate WITN. Vance County authorities published photos of a home damaged when a tree fell on it and crashed through a bedroom ceiling. It was unclear if anyone was injured.

What you can expect over the weekend

The National Weather Service issued tornado watches -- indicating favorable conditions for a tornado to form, even when one hasn't been reported yet -- through Sunday morning for several areas, including New Jersey and New York City.

U.S. Coast Guard Adm. William Lee, who tracked the storm Saturday by air, said he believed that -- so far, at least -- the worst fears for Irene have not come to fruition.

"All in all, the damage wasn't nearly as bad as we expected," Lee told CNN on Saturday night about the reconnaissance mission. "I've been through several hurricanes and, in comparison to ones like Frederick, Andrew and Hugo, this one (has had) significantly less damage."

As it passed through North Carolina, Irene ripped off roofs and caused other damage to homes and businesses in Hyde and Jones counties, toppled trees that blocked roads and brought down power lines statewide, according to the state emergency management division.

"We're not seeing catastrophic damage, but there is massive flooding near the coast in some places," Brad Nieman of the state's emergency management division said Saturday evening.

Heavy rain and a flooding storm surge cut off thousands of residents in Beaufort, Carteret and Pamlico counties, the state Emergency Management Agency reported.

Every road in Jones County was blocked by downed trees, the state emergency management agency reported, and a storm shelter there lost part of its roof, forcing the evacuation of 75 people who had sought shelter from the storm. Several other shelters were without power.

Road crews across the state were trying to clear roads, but trees kept falling around them, the state transportation department said.

In Roanoke Rapids, North Carolina, police and public works crews stopped responding to calls because of adverse conditions, the state emergency management division reported. Buildings in downtown Columbia, North Carolina, were flooded, the division said, relaying reports from the city's emergency manager.

A hotel facade ripped away and part of a pier fell into the ocean.

More than half a million people in North Carolina had lost power as of 7 p.m., with 5,000 people huddled overnight in 60 shelters around the state, said Brad Neiman from the state's emergency management division.

"We're not seeing catastrophic damage, but there is massive flooding near the coast," Neiman said. "A lot we will figure out at first light (Sunday)."

Authorities in communities across North Carolina, Virginia and Maryland announced curfews. Some banned the sale of alcohol. Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter declared a state of emergency, telling residents to be prepared to go without power for up to two weeks.

Evacuation time running out in Northeast

Boston has joined New York, New Jersey and the cities of Philadelphia and Baltimore in suspending all transit service, with no MBTA services -- including subways and buses -- on Sunday. And the Philadelphia International Airport will close from 10:30 p.m. Saturday until at least 4 p.m. Sunday, airport spokeswoman Victoria Lupica said.

In Virginia, more than 600,000 homes and businesses were without electricity, Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell said. Officials warned people to be prepared to be without power for up to a week.

Rescue crews were able to save a couple and their cat off Norfolk after they were stranded about 200 yards offshore on their 30-foot sailboat. Norfolk Fire Capt. Mike Marsala said the couple, who lived on the boat, were trying to get to Annapolis, Maryland, when they were slowed by engine trouble. The 5- to 6-foot seas and 60 mph gusts initially prevented rescuers from getting in the water to help them off the boat.

"They were grateful, joyous to be back on solid ground," Marsala told CNN on Saturday night after the pair's ultimate rescue. "We were kind of concerned, at first, that we weren't going to be able to get them."

Glenn Beck: Hurricane Irene is a "blessing"

In Newport News, Nate Morris -- a student at Christopher Newport University, about a mile from the ocean -- said he noticed numerous trees and power lines down, few other cars out and an "eerily quiet" campus.

"There were times when you'd walk around or be in the house, and you couldn't hear anything because of the wind and rain," Morris told CNN on Saturday night. "And it sounds it like it will be a very hard night, too."

More than 1 million people on the Jersey shore had joined untold numbers of others from the Carolinas to New England in moving inland or to higher ground, away from the storm's worst impacts, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie said.

Those who remained behind in communities where the storm has yet to hit are making a mistake believing that the storm is too weak to do any damage, FEMA Administrator Craig Fugate said.

"Some of our most devastating floods have occurred in tropical storms," he said.

The hold-outs included 92 residents of Atlantic City high-rises, many of them elderly, who refused pleas from Christie and others to get a free ride out of the danger zone. Mayor Lorenzo T. Langford told CNN on Saturday night that 94 of those inside had responded to the latest call by authorities to get out.

"We've made three sweeps, the most recent sweep probably was the last one," Langford said, adding that about 90% of the city's residents had evacuated. "We've admonished them to leave when they could."

In New York -- where the city ordered the unprecedented evacuation of 370,000 people from low-lying areas on Friday-- even residents who aren't being ordered to leave could face an arduous few days following Irene's tour of the city.

The city's transit system, shut down Saturday, may not be fully running again until Monday at the earliest, high-rise buildings are being instructed to turn off elevators and utility ConEd may have to cut power to Manhattan, Bloomberg said.

President Barack Obama continued to closely monitor the storm, according to White House officials. He toured FEMA's operations center Saturday morning. Meanwhile, defense officials told 6,500 service members to prepare to deploy to storm-ravaged regions should state officials need them.

By Saturday night, there had been few major surprises in the storm's progression -- and, even then, plenty of fears that the worst still lay ahead.

"This is a storm where, if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time, it can be fatal," New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg warned.

CNN'sChris Boyette, Jeanne Meserve, Chris Lawrence, Greg Botelho, Jason Carroll, David Mattingly, John Zarrella, Kimberly Segal, Sarah Hoye, Kristina Sgueglia, Rafael Romo, Eden Pontz and Poppy Harlow contributed to this report.


超人の面白読書 88 西脇順三郎を読む














の短歌(2011年8月14日朝日歌壇佐々木幸綱選冒頭)の作者S先生(西脇順三郎研究家)の解釈はいかに―。(『西脇順三郎のモダニズム 「ギリシア的抒情詩」全編を読む』に詳しい)去年の某文化講演会でも話されたと思うが、筆者は用事もあってまともに聴いていなかったのだ!


超人の面白ラーメン紀行 152 渋谷区『喜楽』






クロカル超人が行く 150 丹沢大山国定公園 大山








超人の面白テレビ鑑賞 北欧スペシャル


北欧 スカンディナビアの四季 巨大な鹿が森を生きる(7月30日土曜日午後0:00〜1:00)

 ロフォーテン諸島の鱈(cod)干しの様子と漁の体験(女性を船に乗り入れると不漁のジンクスを破って大漁)、鱈料理を堪能。ゾルゲフィヨルド近くではバイキング船の木造船建造所を見学、そのデザインや技術に魅了、ウルネスでは最古の木造建築の教会、ここでは磔になっているキリストはうなだれていない、むしろ明るい。木造建築の極意は梁の工夫や釘のないところもバイキングの影響と教会関係者から説明を受ける(この教会の芸術的価値は雑誌「芸術新潮」2008年12月号特集〈ノルウェーの森へ 中世の美とオーロラの旅〉に詳しい)。デンマークに入ってヒアツハルスでは牛の出産シーンに立ち会うなど酪農体験。デンマークの酪農には150ものルールがあって例えば、出産後10日以内に届けなれば罰金をかされるなど細かい規制があるからこそ良質な乳製品を産むと真面目に語る酪農家、バイキングが嗜んだお酒ミュルの入ったチーズ作り―実は南欧からデンマークにもたらした―を学び試食。
 ストックホルム、ストックとは柵、ホルムは中洲という意味、大小の島々からなるスウェーデンの首都、人口75万人。旧市街(Gamla stan)にはスウェーデン王室が住む宮殿がある。この辺の地理は大昔のスウェーデン語の教科書によく出てきた地域。でも女優野村佑香は初夏を彩るストックホルムではやはり自分も興味のある北欧家具の世界へ。家具デザイン専門学校を卒業したばかりの典型的なスウェーデン女性二人の作品を鑑賞、そのシンプルなデザインとユニークな素材の組み合わせや優れた機能性に感心。この二人は近くインテリアの会社を設立するという。

③Amazing Voice 驚異の歌声ハイトーン伝説ABBA


⑤スウェーデン 神話の森を行く〜魅惑の鉄道 インランズバーナンの旅〜(7月31日午後1:00〜2:30)


⑦北欧 ファンタジーが生まれる庭〜アグネータ・フロックの宝物〜(7月31日午後4:30〜6:00)


« 2011年7月 | トップページ | 2011年9月 »

2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31